Come enjoy Presidio Tunnel Tops and take in the views while you enjoy a meal. There’s a wide variety of ways to picnic – on one of the lawns, at a moveable table, or at a larger picnic table. All except Picnic Place are available on a first come, first served basis. See the below map for all the picnic spots available at Presidio Tunnel Tops.
There are a wide variety of views – the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, or San Francisco’s city skyline – and you can either bring your own picnic or travel light and pick up something delicious from a Presidio Pop Up mobile food and beverage vendor.
If you’re planning ahead and would like to reserve space for your group, we also have reservable tables at Picnic Place that include charcoal grills that can be booked on recreation.gov. If you’re looking to plan a group gathering, learn more about how you can Rent an Event Space at Presidio Tunnel Tops.
Picnic Place: Tables Near the East Meadow
Picnic Place has nine wheelchair accessible tables (16’ to 23’) that seat 18 to 36 people and are reserved in pairs, and 10 charcoal grills (bring your own charcoal!). Fire up the barbeque with family and friends, surrounded by a great view and shaded by Torrey pines. Kids can play in the adjacent East Meadow lawn, or head down the hill to the Outpost nature play space.
Picnic tables here are reservable in advance at www.recreation.gov. Direct questions to email@example.com. Tables that are not reserved are open to all on a first come, first served basis.
There is a nearby parking lot for easy access. The area also features a bike rack and a water refilling station. The closest restrooms are at Presidio Transit Center.
Community Picnic Tables near Presidio Transit Center
Community picnic tables are available just north of Presidio Transit Center. The tables are wheelchair accessible and available on a first-come, first-served, basis (not reservable, no grills). You can bring your own picnic or pick up something delicious from the food trucks.
Other Picnic Sites in the Presidio
There are many other great spots to picnic around the Presidio.
When Picnicking at Presidio Tunnel Tops
- Weather conditions can change suddenly – be sure to wear layers and be prepared for wind and fog. In a pinch, sweatshirts are available at the Presidio Visitor Center.
- Groups with more than 50 people need a special-use-permit as well as other catering or amplified sound permits. If you plan to hire a third-party vendor to arrange a bespoke picnic or micro-event, you must obtain a permit.
- Do not bring more than one 6' x 30" table per group.
- Rented tables and chairs and pop-up canopies or tents are not permitted.
- Small shade tents with maximum tent size of 5’x5’ are allowed on the lawns,; no staking into the ground. on a lawn space is 5x5 (no staking into the lawns). No umbrellas or pop-up structures are allowed. You may be asked to take down a tent by a staff member if winds create a potential safety hazard. Bringing your own grill is strictly prohibited; Picnic Place is the only spot at Presidio Tunnel Tops where cooking is permitted.
- Do not bring balloons, pinatas, glitter, or confetti to the park – they’re harmful to wildlife and the park’s ecology.
- Parties or group gatherings are not allowed at the Outpost at Presidio Tunnel Tops; if you’re looking for a good spot for a gathering, see the above picnic sites or the Rent an Event Space page.
- Leave no trace: pack it in, pack it out for your events. Trash hurts the park and its wildlife.
- To learn more about how to be a better park-goer and help us care for the Presidio, see our Presidio Like a Pro page.